Sunday, April 7, 2013

April 1st - This week was one of the best so far!

Let's just say that this week was one of the best so far!


We had this sweet activity on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for the youth. It was like a mini youth conference. We call it pre-SOY. SOY stands for Strength of Youth and it's the program here in Central America very similar to what in the USA we call EFY (Especially For Youth). 
It's also quite cool because 'soy' means 'I am' in Spanish. So it's like saying:
 'I am Nicaragua' for 'SOY Nicaragua'. 

 On Saturday, we had a talent show. Most of us missionaries took part in that. It was super funny and we have some great videos.

But that wasn't even the best part! I baptized my first family this weekend!! We contacted them on Wednesday and after we explained baptism, we asked if they would like to be baptized . Without hesitation, the husband asked when they could do it!  My companion (Elder Palma) and I were kind of taken by surprise at this statement. It completely caught us off-guard. So we said Sunday after church and they agreed!! So we went back and taught them everything the next couple of days and after church yesterday, we married and baptized them!! It was really cool. The water for the baptismal font here is green. hahahaha And at times it was difficult because they don't speak very much Spanish, so we had to get a translator for Miskito. But it was really awesome! I also confirmed them members of the church. And I also conferred another guy the priesthood. Pretty Awesome!!!

I love it here in Puerto Cabezas. The people here are soooo ready. General Authorities have said that if the missionaries have enough faith, every single person in Puerto can be a member of the church. 
A lot of the people here have almost nothing. They are so humble and because of that they are closer to Christ and just ready to be part of his kingdom.

So yeah that's my week. The zone of Puerto Cabezas has baptized 20 families this month of March. And last time I checked, the mission was at 75 for this month. 

Take it easy everyone. This work is moving forward. Stay strong! Be awesome!

Love,
Elder Vogel

No comments:

Post a Comment